Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Loving Kindness .vs. Sublte Mind

First let me start off by saying it feels great to be back and into the swing of things. I was offline for a little while and have been unable to post as regularly as I have wanted to  :(


So on to this weeks post. I didn't really care for the subtle mind exercise, nor did I enjoy it as much as the loving kindness one. I had a really hard time focusing and harnessing my thoughts whenever they began to wander. I also found it very difficult to relax and visualize, I think it's because the so called relaxation/nature sounds being used sounded more like "white noise" than peaceful and relaxing. Not to mention the speaker was starting to become annoying. I attempted to complete this meditation in the morning upon awakening, but found it even more nerve racking and unsettling. I ended up feeling very rushed and pressed for time, I was never able to fully relax. I eventually gave up on trying it again; however when and if ever I do attempt this particular exercise again, I will make sure that I play my own "relaxing" music and just guide myself through the meditation without the CD.

Don't worry I'm not giving up on meditation and relaxation techniques just yet. I am determined to find one that works and has the benefits I need.

2 comments:

  1. The white noise was distracting and it actually scared me. At first I thought it was an issue with the cd, but it really was part of the exercise..

    I actually liked this exercise better than the loving kindness because it had less steps. I did find it relaxing minus the white noise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this exercise. The background noises weren't necessary. Usually I do my meditation in front of a candle or sometimes while lying in bed before I go to sleep. I'm glad that you're not giving up on meditating though. I've used a couple CDs that I didn't really like much, it just takes some trial and error to find something that works for you. I find that sometimes I just take a few seconds to slip into the silence and I feel much more centered. I can do this at a stop light in the car (I keep my eyes open), or even at work when I have a moment that I can breath without disruption.

    ReplyDelete